About Me

My photo
Just a guy who's on a journey to rediscover himself. He's also caught the running bug bad. To add salt to injury, he's now addicted to shopping for running shoes......

Thursday 4 April 2013

Are we doing our part?

Few days ago, I stumbled upon a video on  Facebook. What that video does is to  reminds me of a struggle I face everyday which I've come to realize for a few months now. As a runner and as as a driver on the road, we are paradoxically, 2 side of the same coin.

On the Driver side of the coin, we are often seen to be in a rush, driving with excessive speed, being discourteous to other road users, double parking, queue jumping, and etc, etc, etc. The list does go on, but we all know what those lists contain. We break the rules and law when others are not watching, and even more so now a days, when it's convenient for us.

On the Runner side of the coin, We tend to feel that runners/pedestrians have the right of way.This is even more so when there's a Zebra Crossing. There are times we can be so anal about this that we put ourselves at risk of being mowed down by the drivers on the road. We become discourteous to the drivers, staring at them like they're the most hateful thing in this world. as well as by being a "PITA" pedestrians too.

There WILL be a few readers out there that may have the though "I'm free to do whatever I want" going through their mind now. That's completely Ok, and normal. Freedom is our God given right as everyone would say, argue, fight, and die for. But with the word "Freedom" comes another word that a lot of us conveniently forget. I do apologize for being philosophical and some of you guys may get upset by what I have to say, but do remember that this are my thoughts and opinion only and you may agree or disagree freely.

Responsibility
“Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect.”

Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life
As the quote above says, With Freedom comes Responsibility. A lot of us have enjoyed our freedom of speech, freedom of choice and Freedom in general to the extend that we forget that with THAT freedom comes responsibilities that's associated with it. You are FREE to drive your car, but  you are also responsible for not just maintaining your own safety, but the safety of other road users. You are also FREE to run on the road, BUT, you are also responsible for making sure that you run on the right side of the road so that you can see incoming vehicles, as well as to take all necessary precaution to ensure that you are as safe as possible.

A lot of time, we push the responsibility to others. Classic Example: I'm a pedestrian crossing the road, the driver should be aware and wary of pedestrians. Or; Reversing out of a parking and expecting the pedestrians to keep clear just because you can't see everywhere or going slowly. What happen to the responsibility part? It is as if, like what Eleanor Roosevelt said, "For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect.” Can you imagine a bunch of kids or children running in the street and driving on the road?

Part of growing up has always been to take on more and more responsibilities. It's a part of the journey of life itself. A lot of us "grown ups" think that we're matured and responsible enough as it is, Is that really true? Being "grown up" does not always equate to being matured. How many of us have really matured to the extent that we see beyond the immediate event and the surface? How many of us have matured to the extent that we dare to conduct a self-evaluation and to say yes, I'm doing this wrongly, I need to change?

The Challenge

This post is not about putting any sort of faults on the drivers or the pedestrians. This post is all about giving you a wake up. We are ALL Road Users, be you a runner or a driver. Most of us that follow this blog are both. The challenge I'm putting up to readers here is this. Be aware of what's going on on the road, be it when you're driving, or when you're running. Make positive changes that can impact other road users on the road.

For the past 2 months or so, I've been consciously trying to change the way I drive. It's a hard habit to break. This is especially true when faced with the likes of queue jumpers and rude drivers. I have to constantly remind myself that it's not worth it to drive angrily or drive excessively fast. I try to slow down and give way to other drivers that are struggling to cross the road or merge into the traffic. I especially try to change lane when there's a pedestrian on the road. If I can't change lane, I'll slow down and move further away so as to give them that extra buffer zone of safety.

It's not always successful, I'll admit, but I believe that with perseverance and determination, I'll definitely be able to break this habit off and be a more responsible driver on the road. One chant that helps me along whenever I'm struggling  is "Just breathe" One day at a time, one moment at a time, one breath at a time :)" This is especially helpful if you're running late. There's no point for you to drive like an F1 driver when you're running late. No matter how fast you drive, you'll still be late. Might as well drive carefully and reach your destination in a better mental state than what the rush will do to you.



Remember, just because you use the road, doesn't mean you own it. Respect everyone who uses it, be it pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, or car drivers. All of us can do something to make the road a safer place. We may think it's ok to break the law, but you are still morally responsible for your action.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
Robert A. Heinlein

No comments:

Post a Comment