About Me

My photo
Just a guy who's on a journey to rediscover himself. He's also caught the running bug bad. To add salt to injury, he's now addicted to shopping for running shoes......

Thursday 13 September 2012

Positive Changes

It all started in May 2012. Why is that so important? You see, I have shifted back to my mum's place on May 7th, 2012. Why you ask? Well, my wife asked me for a divorce. During that period, I was having difficulties going to sleep and concentrating so a friend of mine invited me to join him in his weekly morning walk. We were hoping that the exercise will be able to tire me out so that I can try to get some sleep and do me some good.

It worked to a certain degree. It has however set an itch in me which I could not scratch. Some insect or tick carrying a disease called "Runningtitis" or "Healthyism" or something must have bitten me during that morning walk. I started having an urge to live my life in a healthier way.

I WILL admit at this point that for the pass 10 years or more, I've not had any form of active exercise whatsoever. I've also lived my life eating whatever I want, smoking my life away, and just enjoying life as easy as can be. Most of the days, it'll be Wake up, Go work, Go back home, Play Computer Games/Shopping/Makan with wife (Soon to be ex-wife)/Meet Friends, Sleep. Rinse and Repeat 365 days a year X 10.

Looking at my lifestyle for the pass 10 years, I decided it's time for me to go for a health check ASAP. Not surprisingly, result came back and Gasp!!!! Doctor says "Everything normal, but you got High Cholestrol."

What's surprising is that I'm 5'10" and weigh in at 67kg. My mum calls me a bamboo stick and my Aunts complain that it's a waste of money to keep feeding me. My Grandma complains my mum's not feeding me enough. To me it's no surprise considering the type of rich foods I've been shoving into my system.

"So what would you like to do now?" the doctor asked. "Do you want to go on medication, or would  you like to try and do exercise?". Told the doctor flat I'll do the exercise and he said, "Ok, I'll allow it since you're still young and have demonstrated that you have the will power to change your lifestyle".

Oh, by the way, by the time I went for my health check in August, I've been completely off Nicotine for about 2 weeks. Apparently, a total Cholesterol of 7.2 is a pretty big issue. =P There goes my Roast Pork  Belly, Luncheon Meat (Spam), Fatty Bak Kut Teh. Sigh. In return, I've been shoved full of Oats, Oat Brans, and Fish oil by my mum and dad.

I've stucked to the morning walk my friend has introduced to me, and I've stucked to quitting cigarette.I've also started walk/running. I'm in the process of revamping my diet, hoping I can eat more healthily and yet be able to enjoy what I love most on an occasional basis. It's been 4 months since I had to start a new life. With these changes behind me, I hope I can continue to make positive changes not just to my own life, but the life of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment