About Me

My photo
Just a guy who's on a journey to rediscover himself. He's also caught the running bug bad. To add salt to injury, he's now addicted to shopping for running shoes......

Sunday 30 September 2012

Run Boy-o Run!!!

A little History lesson.....

Do you guys know, I'm one of the most unlikely candidate to be in the sports of running. This is not to say that I've had no interest in running since I was young. On the contrary, as a kid, when my family was still staying in my hometown, we've always ran all over the place. We walk to school, run to friends place, run out to the shops and back for groceries and ice-cream. Our mode of entertainment involves activities such as chasing your playmates around in differing activities, be it Hide and Seek, Police and Thief or just plain foot race. We even hop on 1 foot to chase each other in restricted space! Boy, those were the good old days. (Crap I sound old!)

I can't remember when it was or what was the cause, but I am pretty certain I developed a dislike to running during my primary school years. I remember vividly how I hate the 100m Dash, the 200m runs we have to make during PE in school and the cursed "Marathon" we had to run during sports day. Even when other sports involves running, I've always seen it as a chore and a punishment. Back then, during my late primary and secondary school years, I graduated from walking/running to cycling and would never turn back to that punishing activity anymore, or so I thought.

I've always been very active in sports back in my teens. I've dabbled in Karate, Swimming, Squash, Hiking, and Jungle Trekking, out of which Hiking and Jungle Trekking are my favorites. I would be one of the few guys that goes in to scout out a trail for the group to follow the day before, and I will be the few people that will bound up a rocky path like a mountain goat. All these however came to an end about 10 years ago.

It was on a Sunday morning as I was getting ready to go to church. I was having breakfast in the kitchen, and as usual, due to my sinus, I will be sneezing away for the first few minutes of the morning. I remember quite well how it felt like that morning. I was sneezing for a bit and felt a big sneeze coming along. What I wasn't prepared for however was the Pop I felt in my lower back. Sharp pain like someone driving a knife into you shoots up my back.That morning I herniated my disc.

I was regulated to bed rest for 1 month. Even after then, I was in pain for the next few months. My activity list have been cut short. High Impact sports are a big no-no to me from then on. So was any sort of heavy lifting. I'm relegated to walks and swimming has not been a strong interest due to my lack of skill in it.

As if that's not bad enough, my asthma, which I have developed when I was 14 years old, came back to haunt me. I'm pretty sure this was due to the smoking during that time.Thus start the year of fitness decline with my exercise amounting to swinging the Wiimote or going shopping with my family.

So now, 10 odd years later, with Herniated Disc, Asthma and a weak ass body, I'm getting back to something which I absolutely abhor in my younger days. Best of all, I'm not just getting back into it, but am absolutely loving it! My friends always caution me to go slow, but I've developed "the itch". If I don't run, I feel uncomfortable. Even with all the injuries, breathlessness, and muscle fatigue, it's like, when you run, you're you.

          Running = The Real Sport. The others just play with their balls. - Unknown Quote

No comments:

Post a Comment